Although as early as 1859 Tasmania was linked to the mainland of Australia by a cable laid across Bass Strait this could be used only for telegraphy communications. With the laying of a new submarine cable the Post Office achieved it’s ambition, the linking by telephone of all the states of the Commonwealth and making available to the people of Tasmania and King Island facilities which had long been enjoyed in other parts of the Commonwealth. Many months of intensive research preceded the placing of the order for the necessary cable.
Three repeater stations were erected at Apollo Bay, King Island & Perkin’s Bay (Stanley). This was to be the longest cable of it’s kind and the most modern in the world. The eyes of all communication authorities as well as the engineering world were on Australia as the task was commenced.Find out more about our history